What features should we add to Corona?

CoronaSDK with LuaJIT

CoronaSDK is running Lua 5.1, but this scripting language isn't as fast as C/C++ or even Java. I've done my own speed tests with Lua 5.1 on SciTE and I'm getting about 5GHz (i3-3240 CPU), however I'm getting 3GHz on CoronaSDK's debugger. When I tested the LuaJIT compiler separately, I achieved a speed of 20GHz (about 4x speed boost). You should consider replacing Lua 5.1 with LuaJIT core, they're nearly the same code with some enhancements, and in fact, if some programmers decide that your program isn't as slow as before, they'll switch to this and buy CoronaSDK instead of being using the traditional compilers.

51 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matías Hermosilla shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like this in as much as it would let me use the __pairs and _ipairs metamethods, though that require the lua 5.2 compatibilty compiler flag for luajit which also brings some potentially breaking changes.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What does 5GHz mean exactly? What are you doing in a single cycle? Sounds like a weird term to use in a benchmark metric. I've seen FLOPS (floating point operations per second), but haven't run into GHz in this manner.

• Matías Hermosilla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note: not to mention that these applications run slower in mobile devices, these tests were made on a quad core computer.

Feedback and Knowledge Base