What features should we add to Corona?

Localization support for Android icon "App Title"

Currently Corona does not support the basic concept of localizing the App Title for Android devices. This means you can have your application itself, and Google Play descriptions, translated for many different languages, however the title under the icon (App Title) does NOT get localized.

Support for achieving this is requested as a basic localization support requirement for Android.

BTW - The only known way (untested) is manually via many steps as noted by ingemar here, 1/2 way down first page of comments: http://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/38972-does-corona-support-app-name-localization/?hl=%2Btitle+%2Bandroid+%2Blocalization#entry202571

62 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

greg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christo Savalas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Admin, is there an official method for this now other than that proposed by @ingemar? Your September comment last year seems promising.

• Joe Huang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ingemar
        Right, I was wrong. The app name under the icon in the Android devices cannot be localized, which is a big problem that Corona should help to solve.

• Ingemar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Joe Huang
        That's only the title on the Google Play Store page. What the OP of this feature wants is a way to localize the app name that is displayed on the device. At the moment only Enterprise users have the ability to do this. The link he has posted (which includes a post of mine for Android) was a way to do this before, but it doesn't work reliably anymore.

• Joe Huang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is not necessary any more.

I just found that when you create an app in Google Play, you can specify different app titles for different languages.

• HeavenKnows commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You don't always use English name when you try to market different countries.

This is a easy feature if Corona wants to do it, but a great help to developers.

• Ingemar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is very important when you localize an app. There should be a "Corona way" to do this for both iOS and Android without having to manually muck about in directory structures or use 3rd party utilities. Also, there's no roundabout way of doing this on Android anymore if the project uses plugins.

Even though I'm an Enterprise user and can easily do this without Corona's help, I think it's a very important feature for all subscriber plans.

+3 votes from me

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must! The method in the forum does not work 100% if plugins are used.

Corona should provide a formal & reliable way to do this!

Feedback and Knowledge Base