What features should we add to Corona?

Universal CRT support

Hi.

Now that a new public build is out of the way I'd like to sneak in a feature request for a future one. :)

It sounds like Microsoft is actually trying to address the issue of CRT runtime changes with each Visual Studio iteration.

At the same time, Visual Studio 2013, and the associated runtime, is starting to show its age, losing out on C++14 and now C++17 features introduced in the more recent editions, as well as a whole host of open source libraries built on these new capabilities. Naturally any code striving to be portable is held back even with Clang and GCC. (Or you have ugly single-platform special cases. Using C++11 for iOS was a major headache before libc++ became the default.)

I know the template compiler has seen some major improvements in newer versions. I have a plugin on hold that would probably benefit here. The Mac version with Clang builds relatively quickly; Visual Studio takes quite a bit longer and with just a bit too much complexity might even choke after twenty minutes of grinding away. :( I have delusions of building it with /NODEFAULTLIB in VS2017 and trying to link it back into a VS2013 stub, but this sounds delicate and difficult to maintain, at best.

Anyhow, the proposal is to target the Universal CRT, thus opening up newer Visual Studio versions and keeping up with the C++ language. This will affect DLL plugins, of course, but the plugin ecosystem on Windows is still not overly huge at the moment. (Contrast with, say, an update to Lua 5.3 or the in-progress 5.4.)

1 vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Steven Johnson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base